Sunday, February 26, 2012

Installed!

My dear sister came over yesterday for a lazy Saturday and I was finally able to finish my bird mobile. Once Lucy woke up from her nap, my husband hung it, dutifully, and praised it, dutifully. This morning Lucy woke up (in my bed) and turned her head to find it and smiled. Success.

View from my bed
A little closer to Lucy's view





And it makes cool shadows on the wall in the evening

The counter-balance was tricky, especially as most mobiles hang items down, rather than balance them on top.  I made plenty of birds, however, and with two different densities of stuffing.  The key is to work from the bottom up.  The birds were a perfect use of some lovely fabric scraps I've collected.  The pattern I used can be found here and the inspiration, here.  I am so satisfied with this project that I'm thinking of making a matching piece to hang above her changing table.   

10 comments:

  1. I LOVE this funky cool mobile, Marianne. GOOD JOB!!! And the shadows - I'd love those in my room.

    Good mama, good good mama!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Cherie! It was just the right mix of challenge and simplicity. Plus, I always love using my glue gun. The shadows were an unanticipated bonus!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i LOVE this of course! and the shadows...oh my...they made me swoon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad you approve, dear Summer. I actually thought of you and your girls a lot when I was making this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love it! How you had the time for it I'll never understand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Having something creative to do when I do get a moment has been keeping me sane =) Plus, I recently got a hot-glue gun and using it makes me ridiculously happy.

      Delete
  6. Absolutely gorgeous! Is that an extra large cot?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nathalie, Thank you so much! It is a standard crib, but the mattress is at the highest setting as our littlest one isn't rolling or sitting up yet.

      Delete
  7. This is so far beyond beautiful, my brain just melted. I love it.

    ReplyDelete